Welcome from Peter Humphries, Headteacher
Thank you for your interest in Blackminster Middle School. We are very proud of our school and encourage you to come and meet us and judge for yourself.
We aim to know each and every child so that we can provide learning opportunities that help students discover and make the most of their skills and talents.
We aim to provide learning opportunities for all our students so that they are:
- Self-regulated, self-motivated, self-aware, self-confident, safe, healthy and that they:
- Show empathy, respect, consideration and caring for others and themselves.
- Have high expectations and are determined to make the most of their skills and talents.
- Understand their role, and the role of others, as international citizens in a global society
- Have skills so that they are: resilient, creative, good communicators, problem solvers, able to work with and support others, positive when dealing with challenge and change, reflective, evaluative, responsible for their actions, adopting a ‘can-do’ attitude, innovative.
- Learn, enjoy and make progress
- Participate in a range of activities both in and out of school making a contribution to the wider community
We do this through:
- A curriculum and a wide choice of enrichment activities that meet the needs of each individual student
- A range of compelling learning opportunities that provide variety, pace and challenge
- Mentoring to support the learning process and to set targets so that students meet or exceed targets
- Assessment for learning and regular positive and constructive feedback to students
- Learning to learn and lead for staff and students
- Continuing professional development for all our staff so they have the knowledge, skills and understanding to do the job
- Organising our school so that resources are efficiently and effectively deployed
- Regularly monitoring, evaluating and reviewing our work and that of the students
- Providing a safe and caring environment including e-safety
- Creative use of ICT
- Listening to the students through Student Congress
- Listening to parents / carers through Parent Voice
- Providing our students with up to date, impartial, information, advice and guidance
- Links with parents and other stakeholders
- Ensuring barriers to learning are removed through in-school provision and links with outside agencies and organisations
- Ensuring equality of opportunity and tackling any form of discrimination
All of our students are encouraged to aim for excellence and to discover and make the most of their skills and talents – academically, socially and personally. We want them to become successful, confident and caring adults who will be able to play an active part in society where adaptability, enterprise and consideration for others are increasingly important.
We expect our students to have high aspirations; their academic progress and examination success are ensured by top quality teaching, and traditional values of self-discipline, politeness, responsibility and sensitivity to the needs of others underpin the school ethos. We take great pride in the warm personal relationships which exist and the involvement of all students in some form of community or charitable service.
We are also proud to have gained the prestigious Healthy Schools, Sportsmark and Artsmark Awards for our excellent work in these areas. Extensive links are enjoyed with partner schools as well as local community and business organisations. We particularly value the tremendous support of parents, recognising their key role in the learning process.
I hope the information provided on this website is useful. If you wish to visit and find out more about our School, please contact the Main Office.